September 23, 2004

Coffee Addiction

I have an addiction to coffee. It all started out, as me getting my arm twisted by my girlfriend to get some coffee at Starbucks. Two sips into my Caramel Macchiato and I was hooked. Me being the poor and cheap bastard that I am, needed to find a way to get my coffee fix cheaper. I knew that the standard, folgers, pre-ground brewed by Mr. Coffee wasn't going to cut it. So, I bought a little espresso machine for $30, and went to the grocery store and bought half a pound of coffee from the bulk bins. This is where the story begins to get extreme.

I was trying different types of coffee. Mostly the flavors. Caramel. Angels Kiss. Tiramisu. Then, I randomly decided to try the Guatamalan Antigua, just to see if region made a difference in the flavor. OH MY GREAT GROOVY GOODNESStm* it does. I found yet another new way to explore the flavors of coffee.

By this time, I now owned a coffee grinder. So, I began buying whole beans from Starbucks, grinding my coffee fresh for each pot. I've tried several types of coffee, from various sources, and am looking for more. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Guatamalen Antigua: This one has been my favorite for cappacino. Its got this caramel background flavor that is just simply yummy.

Kenyan (AA): This has been my favorite to make plain, regularly brewed coffee. Its a full flavored coffee, with berry subtones.

Costa Rican: I didn't care for this one. Its been a while since I had it, I just remember it tasted kind of burnt. Took me a while to finish it off.

Ethiopian Sidamo: Not bad, but not great. Has a citrus like background, which doesn't work for me. As black coffee, or espresso, I can drink it. Once dairy products touch it, it goes downhill quickly.

Sumatran: This coffee is dirty, filthy goodness. VERY strong. Earthy aroma to it. Something I will keep in stock on. Has worked in all of my coffee making ways (reg brew and espresso/cappacino).

Next to try on my list is this Gold Coast Blend from Starbucks. They have it listed as if you like Guatamalan or their espresso blend, to try it. I also want to try some Jamaican Blue Mountain, since I found a website that sells it (expensive coffee, thats why I have an interest LOL). I also plan on buying a coffee press sometime soon, to give that method of brewing a try.

Any hints/suggestions would be appreciated.

2 Comments:

Blogger noe said...

haha, i love going back and reading archives...

not only do we share excellent political opinions, which just makes us both cool, but i happen to be a barista at starbucks... (you know, if you work there you get a free pound of coffee a week, even if you're only part time- gosh i love my job)...

here's what in my cabinets currently... sulawesi, arabian mocha sanani, verona, and guatemala antigua...

you could always go into your local starbucks and ask if they're doing any coffee tastings cause you want to explore all the different flavors and options... AND if you go to the starbucks website you can read about each coffee they sell...

also, do you have a french press? if you don't, you need one... they're relatively cheap and the coffee tastes so much better out of a french press than a hot plate heated pot...

Wed Nov 03, 03:09:00 PM CST  
Blogger Michael said...

I do not have a french press... yet.

Its on my list of things I need, but rather than buy it, I'm just waiting for christmas.

Now that I read "free pound of coffee a week" if you work even part time for starbucks, I think I know what my future part time job will be while I am in school.

It used to be my dream to be a bartender, now I want to be a barrista. Kinda similar.

Wed Nov 03, 03:50:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home