January 01, 2006

Not Just a Pimp, But Also a Knight

To my delight and surprise, one of my heroes has been granted Knighthood. The man shall now always be referred to as being Sir Tom Jones. I'm so glad it finally happened, as Sir Tom Jones is one of the greatest vocalists of our time.

It was many years ago, somewhere around 1994, one of my friends in high school bought the single (on cassette tape) for "If I Only Knew." Something about a 55 year old English man rapping part of a song, amused me. Along with the three guitar chords (with heavy distortion) in it made it just that much better. The music video for it is a classic too.

Years later, I watched one of the most underated movies ever made, Mars Attacks! Sir Tom Jones, starring as Himself was in it. I knew then, I had to further explore the man's musical archives...

That is when I picked up his greatest hits CD. This was not a mistake. It's Not Unusual, What's New Pussycat, She's a Lady, I (Who Have Nothing), his cover of the Prince classic Kiss... These songs are all timeless. Did I mention the man is a pimp too?

Later I'd come accross him doing covers of Lenny Kravitz's Are You Gonna Go My Way (with Robbie Williams) and Him doing a really good version of the Talking Heads song Burning Down the House with The Cardigans.

Congratulations on the honor Sir Tom Jones, and keep singing the way only you can.

2 Comments:

Blogger swisslet said...

he's a legend no doubt - his 'Thunderball' has to be the best bond theme as well. Is it just me though, or is the great man looking increasingly weird as he gets older? He's always been a thickset welsh studmuffin, but recently that perma-tan, pubic thatch on the top of his head and the ill-advised tucks have made him look a little bizarre. He's still got the voice though. Did you know that Elvis called him "The Voice"? That's quite a compliment.

D'you think the queen is a fan?

ST

Mon Jan 02, 01:33:00 PM CST  
Blogger Michael said...

Yeah, Sir Tom has gotton a bit odder looking as he's aged, but it doesn't detract from his Pimpdome.

I wasn't specifically aware of "the voice" compliment from Elvis, but I was aware that they both had great respect for each other's vocal talents.

I'm sure that back in the 60's the queen was like every other woman on earth, drooling over the mighty super Pimpness of Sir Tom Jones.

Mon Jan 02, 10:06:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home