June 10, 2005

Random 10 Tracks

  • Suspicious Minds by Elvis Presley
    • Elvis is a musical god. I wish I would have realized it well before I did. For some reason I thought he was old people music for a while. I just had to get past some of the more overplayed songs.
  • In My Place by Coldplay
    • The first time I heard Coldplay, I hated them. I kept singing "and the snow was all yellow." Then a friend got me to listen to a couple other songs, and I was hooked. Incredible band.
  • Shadrach (live) by The Beastie Boys
    • Even though they have fallen off big time after the last CD (which I didn't even buy after the three songs I heard off of it), I still enjoy some of their old stuff, and large amounts of different versions of songs. This is one of the versions I got off the DVD Anthology. DVD player to line in on comp, and a few days, and you have TONS of remixes of songs.
  • Monkey Wrench by The Foo Fighters
    • Too many people from my generation have been on Kurt Cobains jock. The man was talented, but the real talent in the group was Dave Grohl. His music has a lot more depth than anything Nirvana ever put out. He also has a much better voice. If Kurt wouldn't have taken his life, he'd not be remembered the way he is. One word, Martyrdom.
  • South Texas Deathride by The Union Underground
    • The greates rock band destroyed by the WWE. Love their one and only CD that came out in 2000. Absolutely amazing metal band, that had a unique sound. They were producing songs unlike the other stuff that was out there. Then they recorded what is now the theme song to WWE Raw. Band has since broke up. *sigh*
  • Gone Away by Cold
    • One of the few standout songs by Cold. Their that rock band that can't seem to put out many memorable fast paced songs, but their ballads will make them onto some nineties "Power Ballads" CD.
  • GhettoMusick by Outkast
    • I remember when I got hooked on Outkast. Heard a rock remix of Bombs Over Baghdad. The day this CD came out, I was buying it. Been totally hooked ever since.
  • Xmas Day by Sevendust
    • They started off as being this really heavy metal band. As the group aged and progressed, they started writing more ballads. This song is one of them. Lyrically and musically one of the best rock/metal bands of our time.
  • Forgiven by Ben Harper
    • This man is a musical prodigy. Folk, funk, rock, reggae... he does it all.
  • Whamola by Colonol Les Claypools Fearless Flying Frog Brigade
    • Les Claypool is the Frank Zappa of our time. Amazing musician, who just floats around working with other great musicians since he basically got bored and felt limited with Primus. This song is just a great, but nasty, instrumental.

4 Comments:

Blogger swisslet said...

completely agree with you about Dave Grohl.

Kurt Cobain was talented, for sure, but what's so clever about throwing it all away with and blowing your head off with a shotgun, leaving behind your little baby daughter a suicide note quoting Neil Young - ironically one of rock's great survivors.

Dave Grohl is great - not only is he a brilliant drummer (and can you imagine being the drummer in Dave Grohl's band), but the foo fighters are a fantastic band. "all my life" has overtaken "smells like teenspirit' in my books too. On top of this, he is famed as the nicest man in rock.

What a guy.

Coldplay are magical. I have seen the live a couple of times, and I'm seeing them at least twice this summer. They are a special band, and they give me the shivers when I hear them.

"talk' off the new album, the one that reworks the keyboard riff from "computer love" as soaring guitar, is just superb.

And Elvis? I'm with you all the way. This one is great, but my favourite is "in the ghetto" (and have you heard the sample of it echoing in the distance on "chill out" by the KLF?

superb.

Good choices.

ST

Fri Jun 10, 05:58:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Michael said...

ST - Glad some other people with good musical tastes see eye to eye with me on Dave Grohl. If I am remembering correctly, the original drummer from the Foo Fighters left the group because Dave would re-record the drum tracks himself, since the drummer wasn't half the drummer Dave was.

From what I've heard, Dave is a really cool guy. I downloaded a couple of live tracks by the Foo Fighters. They cover "Stairway to Heaven" in a way that would make all the original members get sick. He plays the guitar in the beginning like he just learned how, and messes up the words. Then, he sings the guitar solo. Its hilarious.

I also have them doing "Carry on My Wayward Sun," but instead of Dave singing, he says he doesn't know the words and lets a guy in the crowd come onstage to sing it.

I still haven't spent a lot of time listening to the new Coldplay CD. So far I like it, but most of their music takes me some time to listen and absorb it all. I'll definately have to give "Talk" a close listen though.

I haven't heard the song by the KLF that you mentioned. Something I might have to check out.

Ann - Amazingly, you listed probably my favorite Elvis song... "Burning Love." Another one of my favorites by him is "Promised Land." I was listening to it one day with my mom in the car, and she had NEVER heard it before, and she grew up listening to Elvis. Just truly a great song that didn't get the recognition of his other stuff.

Sat Jun 11, 06:02:00 AM CDT  
Blogger swisslet said...

I just noticed Les Claypool on this list. I used to really like Primus, and truly a genius bass player. I haven't listened to "frizzle fry" or "sailing the seas of cheese" for an age....

ST

Wed Jun 15, 10:50:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Michael said...

ST - Les has become Mr. Sideproject man since primus broke up.

His first project was Oysterhead, which was him (bass/vocals), Trey Anastasio from Phish (guitar/vocals) and Stewart Copeland (Police) on drums. The effect was basically Primus meets Phish. They put out one disc, which was overall a good CD.

Les then threw together Colonol Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade. This one just kind of magically happened. He was jamming with a bunch of friends, and realized the band they had together would be able to play the Pink Floyd animals album. So they did. They recorded a show that they did. The first set was old Les stuff, and some covers. The second set was them doing a live performance of "Animals." They then put out a disc of new material. Its more primus meets hippy jam band.

He then got together with Buckethead (guitar), Bernie Worrel (keyboards) and Brains (drums). They put out one disc, which is a bit more rock oriented, than being a jam band. Some good instrumentals, typical primus sounding stuff, and a lot of almost battles between Les's bass and Bucketheads guitar.

The man is amazing. He just keeps floating around from one project to another, and surrounding himself with great musicians. They jam together, create something new, then go about their merry ways.

Wed Jun 15, 02:11:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home