October 15, 2005

Sweetest Day - The Music Addition

*COMPLETE*
I've been trying to do this post for a few days, but every time I have that little bit of time to spare... Castpost is down. Not the most reliable site, but it does offer a way for me to share my eccentric taste in music with the 2-3 people that give a shit.

This weeks addition of random music is all about Sweetest day. Note: I'm a bitter, angry, evil, single person, so guess what most of the songs are? Yes, bitter, angry, and evil. For some you get some info, some you don't. I have them all over in the sidebar--> for your listening enjoyment.

I put the louder songs towards the top, and the non loud ones at the bottom. My fragile male ego wants a passer by to notice Sevendust, Pantera, Alice In Chains, NIN... not John Mayer.

So... here's the list.

***************************

Bitch by Sevendust
Just by the title, you can tell what this song is about. It starts out with singing, then its yelling and growling, with the occasional singing part thrown in. Yes, this song does bring up one particular girl in my mind, thanks for asking.

This Love by Pantera
Another happy love song. No personal links to this song, its just a classic that makes me look more manly by posting it.

Love, Hate, Love (live) by Alice In Chains
This song is amazing live. You can hear the anguish in Staley's voice more so when its live. I have yet to hear a bad version of it, when Staley was known to have an occasional bad show because he was so strung out on heroin. This song was different, he had a bond with it. So do I.

Something I Can Never Have by Nine Inch Nails
This is a wrist slitting song. Trent knows how to pull off a mood for a song. It sounds so bleak, and full of despair even before the vocals kick in. Then you hear the vocals... and its over.

Admit by Sister Machine Gun
This band changes sound more than J. Lo changes husbands. They go from NIN, to Depeche Mode, to some odd Jazz meets Industrial, to techno, over the course of an album. This song is one of my favorites. Total sit in the corner, depressed as hell over some evil wench/asshole that for some reason you miss. Yeah, this song brings up a specific name too.

3 Libras (live) by A Perfect Circle
Maynard is my hero. Amazing vocalist, great lyrics. This song came out of the same hand of a man that wrote such great Tool songs like Prison Sex, Hooker with a Penis, Opiate (its a song about being molested by a priest), Aenema (song about how the world would be better off if California fell off into the ocean)...

Everlong (acoustic) by the Foo Fighters
If you never heard the acoustic version of this one, you are missing out. It brings the focus more towards the lyrics. Dave Grohl, you are the man.

Somewhere Out There by Our Lady Peace
This song caught me out of nowhere one day. It was one of those rare songs that you hear at the exact right time in your life, and it just grabs you. I remember listening to the song, and a line came up, and it said everything that was on my mind...

Missing You by Todd Snider
This man writes some amazing lyrics. Not the greatest voice in the world (better than Dylan though), but good enough. Besides songs like this, he'll also write songs that make you wanna get shitfaced and party, or just laugh hysterically.

Forever by Ben Harper
Another great singer/songwriter. He does some kick ass reggae, some rock, some folk, some funk... Covers all the grounds.

The Dance by Garth Brooks
This is probably the most known song on my list. Its a good one at that. Nice little reminder that although at times you feel like shit, it all happened for a reason, and looking back... you're glad it did.

Comfortable (live) by John Mayer
Yeah, I don't want to hear about it. Stop pointing and laughing. I'm a fan of Mr. Mayer. This song has way too much meaning for me. I'm leaving it at that.

************************

So, any of you out there have songs for such an occasion?

6 Comments:

Blogger The MilkMaid said...

HMMM....when i was getting ready to leave my x i listened to angie martinez's go! and dont want u back by emon. yep, they were my theme songs. hehehe

wheres every rose has its thorn?

Sun Oct 16, 01:14:00 PM CDT  
Blogger -L said...

Well, I have been listening to Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been Gone" virtually nonstop since February. It makes me feel angry, rather than sad, and I think that can be a good thing sometimes. I would also recommend (gulp) Phil Collin's version of "Can't Stop Loving You" - it really is a gorgeous song.

You asked. :) He he.

Sun Oct 16, 09:31:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Michael said...

Tasha - to answer your question, I have two reasons why "every rose has its thorn" isn't in my little list. 1. too mainstream. 2. I didn't think of it.

leah - a good portion (mostly at the top of the list) are anger songs for me. ESPECIALLY the Sevendust song. Some of the other ones aren't bad relationship songs, but songs I directly tie in to some, in good ways.

Sun Oct 16, 11:45:00 PM CDT  
Blogger -L said...

Why all the anger all of a sudden, Michael?

Mon Oct 17, 10:49:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Michael said...

It's not quite anger. It can come off as being anger at times, but its more so my twisted humor/irritation... at least on some things. At other times, yes, anger is the word.

For the most part, I'm very even tempored and laid back. I've been told that people would be better off if they could roll me up and smoke me, so they could learn to relax.

Of course, when it comes to past relationships... I'd say anger covers a good 75% of em, hence this magical posting. =D
(smiley thrown in to indicate not a trace of anger in me at the present, am my normal hippy like self.)

Mon Oct 17, 10:56:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Michael said...

my musical tastes are a bit odd...

then again, i just went from johnny mathis to les claypool on iTunes...

I almost frighten myself.

Tue Oct 18, 10:15:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home