February 01, 2006

Republican Mentality

I will NEVER understand this mentality.

Ask many Republicans about their opinion of raising minimum wage. They will shoot it down with anything they can grasp at. Tell people that if their job is unneeded, or unskilled, they need to get those skills. Then they'll approve a bill to cut student loan subsidies (making it more expensive for students to go to school to get an education).

On the same bill, they'll raise spending by $1 billion to dairy farm subsidies. How forward thinking is that? We cut the spending to our college students, and outright refuse to raise the minimum wage (which many college students work at trying to finance their education), but increase our spending on bailing out farms that just can't compete, and/or keeping milk prices higher. (not sure exactly which form of subsidy this one is)

Know why? Its simple. Poor college students can't slip politicians money under the table. Lobbyists for dairy farmers sure can.

This is precisely why this country is fucked.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jenni said...

I completely agree. Cutting back on student loans is abhorrent. My financial aid already falls over $10,000 short of my estimated cost of attendance. Grrrr

Thu Feb 02, 12:08:00 PM CST  
Blogger christine said...

i can possibly slip them a dollar under the table if i forego my usual M&M fix today at work. maybe i'll also slip in a Canadian coin and hope they don't notice...

Thu Feb 02, 04:41:00 PM CST  
Blogger Shannon Nelson said...

Sadly, I am republican and I completely agree with you. This cutting back on student loan thing just happened to my cousin who has no money at all. So now she has to struggle to come up with the rest of the money. :(

And did you hear about Exxon's major profit this year? Meanwhile...why did they have to raise oil prices??? Bastards.

Sun Feb 05, 05:52:00 PM CST  
Blogger Michael said...

Lotionbarbunny - very true, and I don't blame all republicans. There is just a current crop in there that are, pardon my french, fucking assholes. They aren't out for the views and values of those who vote for them, they are out for their own pocketbooks, and the pocketbooks of their friends.

Unfortuneately the branch of the Republican party that has been in control the past 5-6 years is the corrupt bunch, and we (democrats) haven't been able to put up many candidates, or a message, that people really stand behind.

Mon Feb 06, 12:19:00 PM CST  
Blogger Shannon Nelson said...

I agree. We either have a Fuzzy Math President who makes sure that there is something going on with a war of some sorts involving oil, which equals oil prices going up, which equals him getting richer. And I voted for him. :( Shame on me.

My husband's union had sent us some info. on Dick Cheney that blew my mind. Haleburton paid him X million dollars when he became the campaign person for the president to find a suitable VP and then when he became the VP Candidate, they raised his severance pay a few extra million. Bribery? I see it now, with all the work HELLaburton, err Haleburton gets over there in Iraq.

But then we have had Bill Clinton. Who, even as a Rep. I liked. But we (the US) had to deal with the world laughing at us that he couldn't keep it in his pants. And when he could, he used other means (aka cigars).

I sure hope that whoever runs on either side in the next election is actually in it FOR THE PEOPLE. ;)

Mon Feb 06, 02:19:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home