November 10, 2006

Todd Snider at the Chicago Historical Museum

Odd combo here. Something about a museum devoted to the history of Chicago, and a Folk musician doesn't quite strike a connection. It ended up being a perfect match though.

After waiting for 3 years for the man to play a show in Chicago, I finally had my opportunity.

Problem...

He was playing on a Thursday. I'm the only person who is available to work my shift at work on a Thursday night. Well... one other person is, but they were working the morning shift, which I am unable to work because of my top priority in life, my education. Considering I had been mentioning the problems with having no one trained to work where I do for three months to management with no results (so I could have been responsible and gotten someone to take my shift), I did something for the second time ever in my 11 years of working: called off for illegitimate reasons.

The show and venue were top notch for him. He didn't have a backing band. It was just him, his acoustic guitar, and his harmonica. Really puts on a great show.

Todd is known for his sense of humor, and for telling the occasional 10 minute long story between 3 minute songs. A few times I was laughing so hard I could barely breathe. He had one story about a song he wrote, that I amazingly found on You Tube.



He played for about two hours, with the crowd joining in on "Conservative Christian, Right Wing Republican, Straight White, American Males," "Alright Guy," and "Doublewide Blues."

The venue itself was basically just a small hall. If it would have been a full band, the acoustics would have been terrible. Being a small, intimate, performance with an acoustic guitar the natural echo of the place made everything sound better.

I'll definitely see the man play again.

For some reason, I think he would approve of my view on calling off work too.

3 Comments:

Blogger Froyd said...

is there such a thing as an illegitimate reason to not going to work?

if so, I'd have a tough time coming up with one.

Fri Nov 10, 04:30:00 PM CST  
Blogger Michael said...

and who worked more days at the hospital than they were scheduled?

Sat Nov 11, 01:12:00 AM CST  
Blogger Froyd said...

please don't make me drudge up those memories.

all I'm saying is that missing work is a good thing. a very good thing.

Sat Nov 11, 11:00:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home