December 08, 2005

iPod - Greatest Thing Since General Tso's Chicken

Ok, by my title, you can tell I'm both in love with my iPod, and hungry.

I recently got an iPod (its one of those partial Christmas presents. Partially funded by the Parental units, the rest out of my pocket, which is easy thanks to those few days of no interest financing from Best Buy till January 2008.) I also got an FM transmitter so I can listen to the thing in the car, and charge it in the car. (It started working great after I changed the FM frequency it broadcasted at).

At first I was just amazed by being able to listen to whatever I wanted to, at any time. Only thing is, I didn't want to have EVERY song on my computer on the iPod, as some songs I wasn't crazy about, but won't delete. I have slowly been rating all the songs on my computer (have about 5900 out of the 7300 rated).

To make my decision, I just dragged over all my 3-5 star rated songs, and all the unrated ones. Problem was, I would have to constantly remove from the iPod as I rated songs, and add songs that I newly rated, change ratings... (I'm a music geek, and anal about my music) so I decided to mess with the auto update feature.

This is when the true power of the iPod and iTunes amazed me.

I set up a few smart playlists, that my iPod uses to update from (it gives the option of manual updating, updating the entire library, or updating from specific playlists). It doesn't do all songs, just the ones in those playlists. I made a playlist that instantly updates with all my 3-5 star rated songs, one that does select 2 star songs, and one that does all my unrated songs.

If I change a rating on iTunes or the iPod, it changes it on the other when I update, and will add or remove it from the iPod. The times played, last played, any track info I changed, etc. gets changed too. If I put a new CD on the comp (such as the Korn CD that came out Tuesday, which so far is good) it automatically gets added to the iPod when I hook it up because I haven't rated the songs yet. If I listen, hear a song that's crap and give it a one star, it gets yanked from the pod the next time I synch the two.

I'm still amazed I could actually live without the damn thing.

1 Comments:

Blogger swisslet said...

that's a great idea. I've had my iPod for about 2.5 years now, and it's only a 30gb and I'm almost out of room. I have 6000-something songs, and I have always sort of looked at the rating thing and wondered if I should give it a go. I think perhaps I should.

ST

Mon Dec 12, 04:12:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home