May 06, 2006

Linux

In order to further my expansion into geekiness, I've been trying to learn Linux. So, I set up my laptop with a dual boot, and installed Red Hat... Red hat doesn't like my wireless card. I figured out its a problem with the drivers for it, but finding the right linux driver and installing it seems to require a PhD, and I'm only halfway towards a bachelors.

So, the question is, does anyone know a more user friendly version of Linux? I only picked Red Hat because it was the version I had heard of most. I've read about ubuntu being a good version...

Any suggestions?

(That is one cool thing about it, I can download OS after OS, install them, try them out, and keep on going... for free.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Froyd said...

I didn't have a problem with dual-boot red hat linux, so I'm not sure...however, for the time and trouble that was involved in getting it to work, and not liking the way it did things, I switched back to WIN98.

WIN98 4-Evah!

Sun May 07, 10:48:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Jose said...

The most user friendly version out there, and the most popular for desktops is UBUNTU Linux. There is always a learning curve of course.

My wireless card doesn't work on my Thinkpad when I run Linux (SuSe 10.0) but my Ubuntu PC works pretty good, granted you will have to spend some time reading how to's.

Linux fanatics swear that is not that hard to learn, but once you have become retarded using windows(like me, for example) is kind of hard to get used to it. I learned everything on PCs and now I am trying to unlearn my window ways.

But Good luck to you, at least you can know that you are not alone.

Mon May 08, 08:42:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Michael said...

froyd-same here. as far as not liking it... I know its learning something new over doing the same old windows thing. And yes, Win 98(se) is the best one of the 9X OS's. (although I would take 2000 or XP over it any day.)

jose-that's what I had heard, so that will be my next Linux trial. Not exactly the most fun thing in the world to do, but if I can get some basics out of it, it gets me some brownie points with other techies out there (and maybe a few contacts which can lead to better employment, etc.)

Tue May 09, 12:55:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home