September 08, 2006

Best Disc of 2006... So Far

Several years back, I was upset by a couple of my favorite bands breaking up: Rage Against the Machine and Soundgarden.

A few years later, the band members of rage started jamming together with Chris Cornell (vocalist) from Soundgarden.

The first album was good, but they band hadn't developed its own sort of sound yet. It was kind of a Rage Against the Garden thing... The second disc took the sound up several notches. Incredibal disc.

Now, they've released a third. Its even better.

The band has gotton tighter and tighter. Cornell's vocals are dead on for this one. The band continues to evolve, and rocks better on this disc than the previous ones. Just amazing.

Here's my favorite song off the disc: One and the Same by Audioslave.


Powered by Castpost

And if that don't work... you can watch the video for the first single: The Original Fire.

Or do both...

2 Comments:

Blogger swisslet said...

I thought Rage were a brilliant band, and I liked soundgarden too, but somehow I've found audioslave to be a little less than the sum of their parts. I've heard a couple of tracks from the new album, but it just made me want to go and listen to rage...

you reckon it's a good'un then?

I'd love to see them live though.

ST

Sun Sep 10, 10:07:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Michael said...

ST - I can see that point of view myself. I was always a bigger soundgarden fan than a rage fan (although they are both one of the few bands I've had the pleasure of seeing more than once).

Some of the audioslave stuff does make me want to listen to rage, and its normally the earlier stuff (cochise is a song that makes me want to run and listen to know your enemy or freedom).

As a band though they've really developed a different sound than rage did. The part that brings the flashbacks to rage is rarely the guitar riffs... but the solos. A lot of times Morello's guitar solo's just sound out of place in a band like audioslave.

I'd recommend Revolations or Out of Exile. Both albums amazed me. Out of exile was better for the mid paced to slow rock song, while the top tracks on Revolations have been the faster, more upbeat ones.

As far as seeing them live, they are one of the tops on my list to see. Rage always put on a good show, and so did soundgarden. So, I'm hoping in the case the sum of the parts mentality continues.

Sun Sep 10, 12:48:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home