June 23, 2005

FIRE!!! FIRE!!! FIRE!!!

Well, another favorite proposed constitutional ammendment is making its rounds. Its the flag burning one. Yeah, they wanna make it illegal to burn the flag, by a constitutional ammendment. A lot of folks are in uproars about this one. I personally don't give a rats ass.

I have no plans on burning the flag. Our rulers, and a lot of people in this country piss me off, but burning the flag don't do shit to fix things. Make it legal or illegal, it don't effect me any. To some its unpatriotic to burn it. To some making it illegal is a violation of freedom of speech.

My issue with the flag burning ammendment is different. A worn or tattered flag, in order to be disposed of properly, should be burned. Yes. The official US flag rules involve burning as the proper way to dispose of it. So, disposing of it properly would be illegal. So, you put a clause in it that if the burning is intended to be desicration, or disposal, right?

One problem. LOOP HOLE. "I was disposing of it, because it was torn, by burning it during the presidents visit." Whoever gets arrested because they burned the thing, has an out.

Plus, last time I checked, its the Bill of RIGHTS, not the Bill of WRONGS. When you try to make something illegal on it, it backfires. Look at prohibition. The document is about saying we have the RIGHT to vote. The RIGHT to due process. The RIGHT to bear arms. The RIGHT to free speech. The RIGHT to assembly. Not the WRONG. Not the "you can't do this."

Get the shit straight. If something is a limitation to what a person can do, place it as a law. Don't say I can't do something on a document that is listing the things I have the RIGHT to do.

(flag burning ammendment)

(flag disposal)

3 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Preach it my brother. I'm in the mood to burn one down, if you know what I'm sayin'.

Fri Jun 24, 12:12:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Froyd said...

waitwait...you're saying the american flag represents our nation?

cripes. all along I thought it just denoted the kingdom of Perkins.

Fri Jun 24, 04:27:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Marsha (no need for anonymity anymore) said...

Speaking of fire...
I'm thinking of selling plans for our "Redneck Chimenea." It involves a spare tire, slab of granite, and a fireplace grate. You could burn a flag on it...and a lot of other stuff.

Mon Jun 27, 09:52:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home