July 10, 2005

Get An Original Name First

The hip hop and rap music industry is now crunk pop, hip pop, or some other bad cliche. The state of music of the mainstream laden person seems to be growing up on the backstreet boys, then when you are too old for boy bands (who amazingly aren't really bands) to hip hop. Its pop for 16-24 year olds.

I could rant forever on how musically, for every innovator like Outkast there are ten Mase's-the guy with no talent that just happens to be a friend of someone who made it big. That is not my beef right now. I can easily just listen to what I like, or in the Case of Lil John and the Ying Yang Twins, pick out my three songs, and ignore the rest because they all sound the same.

My knock is the lack of creativity with names. It does go back to the days when there were too many Ice's and MC's. Ice Cube, Ice-T, Vanilla Ice, MC Ren, MC Hammer, The Young MC... It continues on to this day.

Just as I was looking through the Best Buy ad today, I saw another one-Slim Thug. Now I know Eminem decided to take up three names, which is unfair to an original name deprived industry, that gives you no reason to use the Slim Shady theft. Nowadays we have a bunch of Lil's, even if "Bow Wow" doesn't use it anymore, him and the aforementioned Lil John, and all the other Lil's followed in Lil Kim's footsteps (who probably followed in the Lil footsteps of someone else).

If the musician can't even be original in picking out their name, how can you expect any of their music to be original? I know I would be the last in line to buy a CD by a metal band called Marvin Manson.

4 Comments:

Blogger Froyd said...

are you telling me that my rap name of "Lil' Gangsta MC Ice Froyd" is unoriginal?

you goin' down, boyeee!

Sun Jul 10, 06:04:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Michael said...

yeah, thats unoriginal and overkill.

You need something a bit more basic, to pay homage to your old school roots.

Froy Moe Dee is now your new rap name. Use it wisely.

Mon Jul 11, 12:09:00 AM CDT  
Blogger marieke said...

My rap name (given to me by a friend for god only knows what reason!) is M.K. Reeka. Original enough for you? :)

Mon Jul 11, 05:16:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Michael said...

that is definately original. Would be unoriginal if it was M.C. Reeka.

It has my approval of a rap name.

although shortening it to just Reeka would work too.

Mon Jul 11, 11:06:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home