July 02, 2005

Live Aid 8 Is Bullshit

Everywhere I turn on the net, I'm seeing something about live aid. I see pictures of Bono with his sunglasses, singing. I'm sick of it. Live Aid 8, and the make poverty history campaign are all a bunch of bullshit.

Live Aid 8 is not the same thing as the original live aid. Its not raising money to provide to charitable organisations to help starving people. Its about raising money, to bail out third world governments. Its to erase national debts.

The national debt for Derka Derka gets erased, so the rulers of Derka Derka use their new found buying power to help buy food for its people, or buy bigger guns because their neighbors in Flacidstan are building up a big ass army.... I bet they spend money on weapons.

To go into the ideal that by erasing a debt is going to make everything ok is exactly that, idealistic. We don't live in a shiny happy world, filled with shiny happy people. The world is a fucked up place. Clearing up a bank account ain't gonna make it all roses.

So if you want me to pledge to help feed a family, I'm for it. If you want me to pledge to save someone from disease, I'm for it. If you want me to help pay off someones credit card debt, fuck you. They'll just buy groceries for a week and a plasma screen tv. A week later they'll be asking if you have money for some McDonalds.

Don't buy into the hype. Live Aid 8 is bullshit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home