September 18, 2005

Punishment, Corporal Style

Today, I saw a child in need of a beating, but a spanking would have sufficed.

The kid was screaming at the top of his lungs "I want the toy, I want it, its my favorite toy ever, I want it, I'm not talking to you, I want it...." I'm sure you all have the idea.

The kid bit his mom, yelled at her, hit her. The tender age of about 3-4. So innocent.

Well, mom let the kid know he was gonna get it. Mom let the kid know his dad was gonna give it to him too. I am guessing the kid is gonna get that spanking, once from mom in the parking lot, and once from dad at home.

As soon as they left, two older women (old enough to be my mom) started talking. "If that was my kid, he would have gotton smacked right then and there." "She looked at me, as if to say 'you won't turn me in for child abuse if I hit him?'"

I had to add in, "If that was me, I know very well I would have gotton spanked right then and there, and I wouldn't have done anything like that again. Its amazing how times have changed."

Both agreed with me.

Its sad, that as a society, we can't parent our kids anymore. If you give em a quick slap to their backside, its wrong. Your supposed to take things away. Call time outs. BULLSHIT! That doesn't seem to work too well. Nothing struck fear into me more as a kid than to think I was gonna get a spanking. I wasn't abused. I didn't get bruised, or hit too often. When I did though, looking back on it now, I deserved it. I grew up to know consequences for my actions. Made me a better person.

Maybe, that's why there are so many problems nowadays. Lack of good discipline when they were younger.

Damn liberals fucked that one up... yeah, I blame my breed for this one. The conservatives, especially the southern ones, I know had a bit more corporal punishment.

13 Comments:

Blogger marieke said...

i may be a wishy washy liberal in some people's books, but i will forever think that hitting kids is wrong. in the instance you described, i can understand the temptation. but really, you've got to wonder exactly how the kid got to the point where he'd misbehave that badly in the first place. if the kid is used to proper discipline, you'd think he'd have learned something along the way. maybe its just wishful thinking on my part, but i'm sure you can teach a kid to be decent without resorting to pain. but discipline can't just be used when the kid has a meltdown in a public place - once it gets to that point, you've been doing something wrong! i can't help but put at least some of the blame on the parent...!

Sun Sep 18, 07:52:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Froyd said...

umm...I don't know about you, but the kid, regardless of parenting, is going to make a scene whether the parents raise him/her right or not.

3 year olds aren't known for their responses to positive/negative reinforcement.

And I do believe that the occasional spanking not only helps the kid's development but it also trims and tones the buttocks!

Mon Sep 19, 10:42:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Matt said...

I'd get spanked with a giant wooden spoon. I'm not emotionally scarred from it, I'm healthier for it.

Mon Sep 19, 11:16:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Michael said...

marieke - I do blame the parent, for not getting a good willow switch to tan the kids hide with. heehee.

froyd - yeah, i do have a nice buttocks. thanks for noticing.

matt - my mom was a shoalin master of the wooden spoon. quite an effective weapon I might add. also makes me think of a bad idea-hiding the wooden spoon under the couch cushions. I can only say the after effects of that one helped to "trim and tone" my buttocks. lol

Mon Sep 19, 03:32:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Froyd said...

wooden spoons were dangerous. the only thing that could make us run faster while we were already running away was the rummaging in the drawer. we knew what was coming, and it was the harbinger of stirred soup and pain.

buttocks! rawr!

Mon Sep 19, 04:53:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Michael said...

ROFLMAO!!!!!

Froyd, that brought tears to my eyes, so funny, yet so true.

Mon Sep 19, 05:18:00 PM CDT  
Blogger The MilkMaid said...

i whole heartedly agree with spankings. i can recall 2 specific times of being spanked...one with a rolled up newspaper for backtalking to my grandma and the other with a wooden paddle with holes drilled into for not doin what i was told when i was told. i am not emotionally scarred either and i learned very quickly that if u fuck up there is a price to pay.

how exactly does a time out for 5 or so minutes discipline a child for not pickin up their toys, or hitting mom, or throwing a temper tantrum??? seems to me it only gives them an opportunity to catch their breath so that when time out is over they can pick up where they left off.

Tue Sep 20, 12:12:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time outs worked for me. ^_^

Actually, the method of punishment isn't all that important. Spanking isn't much better in the long run then time outs.

The important thing is understand. The kid has to understand that thier actions are wrong, and why. Teaching them that certain actions equal time outs or spanking doesn't teach them much more that not to do whatever it is again.

Besides, violence begets violence, ne?

Yes, I know I'll pay for the spelling error. =P

Wed Sep 21, 02:27:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Froyd said...

that's it, someone's in for a time out...after their spanking.

Wed Sep 21, 03:17:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Michael said...

Nah, no assault on mispellings. I just get amazed when someone makes an anonymous comment, and its actually... non-attacking.

I can agree with that, partially. Not all kids need spankings. The kind that hit mom and bite mom, do. There's no single formula that works for all kids.

Luckily, my parenting skills probably won't ever be tested, as I have no plans on procreating.

Wed Sep 21, 04:00:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Froyd said...

excellent. my super breed of lil' froyds will be uncontested for rulership of the world!

Wed Sep 21, 04:44:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Michael said...

So naive young Froyd.

I'm doing much better than merely procreating, and soiling my genetics with those of another.

Clones. Thousands.

Not to mention all my little halflings, spread throughout the world by invitro fertilization.

I am unstoppable!!!!!

Oh, and btw, gothie never told you this...

I am your father!

search your feelings, you know it be true. Join me, and together, we will rule the galaxy, father and son.

Or, we could just drink a few beers and make fun of people. Whatever works better.

Wed Sep 21, 05:14:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Froyd said...

*shrug* I'm up for either, if you're paying.

Wed Sep 21, 07:51:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home