November 12, 2004

Conservative Political Morals

Dear Moral Republicans:

I fall on the liberal side of the political fence. I also believe I am a moral person. I will respect you for your morals, I just do not wish for them to be pushed off onto me. There are some misconceptions going on, and even some false claims that I read on various Republican websites, and see on Republican view heavy news shows.

I hear some say this country was founded on traditional, christian values. That isn't true. People originally moved here to avoid religious persecution. They came here so that they could practice their faiths without fear of retribution, or jailing from their government. They then rebelled, and won the revolutionary war through guerilla tactics against a more powerful British army. Morals that are strickly Christian go against what our country was founded on. One of the ammendments does state a "seperation of church and state."

I base this idea on more than just that part of the constitution. I have a long list of quotes of some of our forefathers that further verify my beliefs:

"This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it!"- John Adams

"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man"- Thomas Jefferson

"Religions are all alike -- founded upon fables and mythologies"- Thomas Jefferson

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise." - James Madison

"denominated a Deist, the reality of which I never disputed, being conscious that I am no Christian."- Ethan Allen

"I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of...Each of those churches accuse the other of unbelief; and for my own part, I disbelieve them all."- Thomas Paine

"As to Jesus of Nazareth, my Opinion of whom you particularly desire, I think the System of Morals and his Religion...has received various corrupting Changes, and I have, with most of the present dissenters in England, some doubts as to his Divinity; tho' it is a question I do not dogmatize upon, having never studied it, and think it needless to busy myself with it now, when I expect soon an opportunity of knowing the Truth with less trouble." - Benjamin Franklin

Written during the Washington administration, The Treaty of Tripoli stated, "The government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion". Read aloud, in front of the Senate, it was the third time in 339 votes, that a vote was unanimous.

While it is true that some were Christian, all were not. In fact, most were considered Deists or Unitarians, and rejected the divinity of Jesus.

I am not against people having morals. I am not against christianity, having christian religious beliefs myself. I am against forcing my moral beliefs on others. I am a believer that if the action doesn't harm anyone, it is alright.

That is a large portion as to why I had a lot of issues with the way the republican political campaign played out this year. "Christian values." "Morals." I like values and morals, but I don't want them forced upon me when they harm no one. Some states had referendums intentionally put on their ballots in an election year, to draw out more conservative christian voters.

The gay marriage issue was the biggest one of them all. As far as a conservative, religious belief, that isn't moral. In all honesty, how will two people that love each other, having a wedding in a courthouse, destroy the "sanctity of marriage." It won't be happening in your churches, due to the seperation of church and state. It was all a guise to draw out more voters to their side, even though most of their politcal beliefs and practices would benefit only the top 10% richest americans.

Bush supports civil unions now. I can guarentee anyone that when a gay couple has a "civil union" they won't be called "Unionized." Sounds like they are going on strike. People will call them "married" because it is the closest word in the english language to describe what they are. In 50 years, gay marriage will be common. Interacial marriage was once illegal because it was considered immoral. Now it is common, and a vast majority of the population sees nothing wrong with it.

I will respect anyone who has deep morals, and lives by them. I have a friend from high school who is deeply religious. He has influenced some of my religious beliefs, to the point where I will no longer say some prayers that were once common for me. (I was raised Roman Catholic) I don't know the official classification of his area of christianity. I do know that by his religious beliefs, the Bible is taken word for word. (i.e. he believes in creationism, and thinks evolution is false, and that all fossil evidence is innaccurate, and a work of satan.)

Our government being seperate from religion isn't going to harm your right to your religion. It has benefitted it, and helped it to grow. That is why we have such a diverse culture, and have grown so strong as a nation. We are all very different, and we work best when we respect each other for those differances. Please stop this religious crusade. You are entitled to your right to religion, not the right to my religion.

(goes back to hugging his tree)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home