November 22, 2004

Religion Preaches Hate

Once again, I see something in the news that angers me to a point of wanting to scream. A church in the south (of course) put out a bulletin spewing why homosexuality is wrong, and that it should be illegal because it is destroying America. They also claim it promotes Aids.

First off, Aids is spread through unprotected sex between ANYONE!!! The thought it is a gay man's disease was proven to be false in the eighties. Get current with your information before you spread it.

That kind of statement made by that church is the exact reason why I do not claim a religion other than Christianity. They were preaching hate and using the Bible as their shield. Holding a Bible in your hand and preaching hate doesn't make you a rightious man. It makes you a hippocryte.

Discrimination is one of those issues that gets me fired up like no other. The thought that some people are so DUMB and IGNORANT that they think because they hide behind a book they can make any claim and have it be right just disgusts me. It's closed minded and wrong.

What I learned from religion is to love God, and love your neighbor. It taught me not to lie, not to steal, not to inflict physical harm upon my fellow man. That somone uses those teachings to preach a hate towards a group of people makes me realize how corrupt many religious groups are.

Religion also taught me about respect, not judging a book by its cover, and forgiveness. I wish that more people would read and understand the teachings, rather than use small parts to back up their own beliefs of prejudice and hate.

It is possible to back up anything by a story in the bible. I recently learned that slavery is ok by the bible, as long as those slaves are from another country (Lev 25:44) and that its sanctioned to sell your daughter into slavery (Exodus 21:7).

I had to include those to show that the Bible can be used to justify even the most vile and disgusting of beliefs, from slavery to human sacrifice. Don't preach hate. I doubt God and Jesus want people hating their fellow man. I've always been more believing that they want me to love my fellow man.

(goes back to hugging his tree)

1 Comments:

Blogger Marsha (no need for anonymity anymore) said...

The only thing that keeps me from going on a rampage is knowing that these hate-spewing folks are in for a rude awakening when they die.

Mon Nov 22, 08:33:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home