February 03, 2005

The Idiotic Food Survey

While doing my news reading, I found a survey that peaked my interest. They did a survey on good and bad chain restaurants. Some of the good ones I hate, some of the bad ones I don't mind. It just really seemed like a really poor list.

Listing McDonalds and KFC does no one any good as far a regional lists go. I don't care if Northeasterners hate KFC, I like my damn KFC. Westerners hate McDonalds. Too bad, sometimes I need some double cheeseburgers and I don't like Burger King. Everyone knows what those places are like.

Then, we have the regular restaurants listed. I see one consistantly listed across the US, that I have to bash. Olive Garden. I hate to break this to all of you, but the Olive Garden is FAKE!!! It is not REAL italian food. Its nasty as hell. Far from authentic. I don't care what the commercials tell you. They lie. The food there tastes nothing like my families cooking, nothing like my friend's families cooking. The Olive Garden has destroyed Italian cooking. I wish they would go bankrupt.

After saying all that, I must comment on the midwest fast service list, the article gave. I'm not big on chain restaurants, as they usually make me sick, and the food and service are terrible. Fast food places don't though. Grease is my friend.

Number one was Panera Bread. I never even heard of this one. I think the voting was fixed.

Number two was Quiznos. Quiznos is good. I think everyone has had their subs. No need to comment.

Number three was Papa John's. UGH!!! This is some nasty ass pizza. It's like Little Ceasars. Nothing good or special. Stay away. One good thing on the menu. The breadsticks. They are good after a night out partying. Breadsticks good. Pizza bad.

Number four subway. Jared is a bitch. Everyone has access to subway.

Number five is Wendy's. Ummm. Yeah. Better than BK or McDonalds. Think Y'all had it.

Worst is Hardee's. I will not disagree with that. Of course those only exhist in rural areas at truckstops.

Now, time for me to do my list of local chains that are good and why. I shall start with the burger places.

We have Steak and Shake. They rock. Good burgers, great shakes, a little too expensive. I won't order anything smaller than a double. The burgers are too thin. Fries tend to be a little soggy.

Schoops. Even better. Fatter burgers. Better fries. Some people have issue with their burgers, since the edges are extra crispy. For some of us, that's the best part.

White Castle. Its an aquired taste. Famous from Beastie Boys lyrics and some movie, the white castle is a unique burger. I have to order 4-5 of them. Some of my friends order 10. Small. The meat is about 2mm thick. They go straight through you. They are nicknamed "sliders." Made of pure grease. White Castles has other great things too. Good fries, onion rings, and, the LEGENDARY, chicken rings. Yes, chicken RINGS!!! Its as simple as it sounds. Rings of chicken, breaded, and fried. BBQ or Honey mustard dipping sauce. White Castle is open 24/7. Its the place to get food at 3AM after being at a bar because no where else is open.

Hmmmm.... I don't have much on other places, because I am not sure what is in other parts of the country, besides the burger joints. I stick to hole in the wall, non chain restaurants for the most part. When in doubt, I go burger. So.... ummm.... That's my list.

(source)

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenni said...

Panera is good...we have them up here. But not in my town unfortunately. Although, no grease involved so if grease is your friend it might not be for you :)

Thu Feb 03, 03:30:00 PM CST  
Blogger Michael said...

Possiblity I might like it. Grease is my favorite, but not a necessity. I just don't believe anything exists in the midwest if it isn't near me. It is just me being that special cynic I am.

Thu Feb 03, 11:55:00 PM CST  
Blogger Michael said...

I've heard legends of In and Out Burger, but have never had em. I didn't see any whenever I was out that way though, or it never occured to me to get one. One of the two.

Fri Feb 04, 01:32:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home