June 16, 2006

World Cup Viewing

The monks in Cambodia have been allowed to watch the world cup if they don't yell and scream or get to excited. So, in other words... pretend like they're American in relation to the world cup.

I love it when someone tries to talk trash about soccer (football as 90% of the world calls it). For the majority, American's just don't care about the sport. Its like insulting a guys mother in law behind her and his wives back that he can't stand-it won't bug him.

I'd be willing to make a bet that a majority of American's don't even know its going on, or are just aggravated that their normal television viewing is screwed up because of it.

Out here, the sport is low in the rankings. You have your top two, which are football (as in american football) and baseball. After that, basketball and hockey are both popular. Once you get past those, Golf, bowling, and tennis get more TV coverage than soccer. Texas hold em poker tournaments probably get higher rankings than soccer.

We just don't get it. Watching soccer on TV is about as exciting as watching golf for me. bunch of guys running around, trying to kick a ball in a goal. Once someone scores, the winning team plays keep away from the team that's behind. 3 hours later, they win 1-0.

I know its easy to throw similar insults at football. I've read that one summed down to using the wrong name, bunch of guys standing around, running into each other for three seconds, a whistle blowing, and then standing around again. Its far beyond that, as I am very sure soccer is too. I'm sure there has to be much further strategy and designed plays than my untrained eyes can see.

Thing is... I'm oversaturated in sports already. I've got my World Champion White Sox and my wait till next year Bears. I'm content with that.

9 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

I think that soccer threatens the state of our country. If we would have more kids playing little league and less playing that commie futbol, i guarentee, our economy would rally and crime would become non existent.

Fri Jun 16, 02:50:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Michael said...

but...

but...

I'm a commie...

At least that's what all the republican's tell me.

Sat Jun 17, 12:55:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Matt said...

:)

Sat Jun 17, 01:26:00 PM CDT  
Blogger adem said...

Football [or soccer] rules!!!

I don't really get US sports, but I guess that's the same as you guys looking at our footy, cricket, rugby etc.

All countries have different traditions etc so in the interests of diversity I have this to say:

American Football Sucks!!!

Sun Jun 18, 05:36:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Jose said...

I like baseball and basketball, but when it comes to football, THE only football that matters is the one being played in all countries but this one. The "other" football aka American Football, I can't really get into it. I'd rather watch ice hockey. When it comes to taste in Sports, who can say who's right or wrong?

Sun Jun 18, 08:10:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Michael said...

Jose-I agree with you that there is no right or wrong.

Adem-yeah, well... ummm... well... your footballs sucks!!!
heehee...
Yeah, many english sports confuse me, as I would expect ours to confuse you. The important thing with any sport though is, to get good and liquored up while watching.

American football is complicated. There's a lot of rules, strategies, etc. I didn't get into the game until I was older. Then, I played in High School, and became an addict. Part of the love of any sport usually involves playing it, it gives you a much greater understanding of it.

Sun Jun 18, 08:25:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Froyd said...

the real issue here is this:

all sports video games suck.

suck on that, you commies!

Tue Jun 20, 04:33:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Michael said...

Madden 93 for the sega genesis, and Super Tecmo Bowl for the original NES or SNES... along with Baseball Stars for NES... and Super DodgeBall... were all kickass sports games mr. froyd.

heh.

Wed Jun 21, 12:13:00 AM CDT  
Blogger swisslet said...

I think it's funny that the world gives a damn that the US isn't really into football, or that the US apparently feels a bit bemused by the fact that they don't give a damn about the one sport that the rest of the world can connect over.

Who cares either way?

I quite like football (sigh - ok, soccer), but I don't give two hoots that the majority of Americans don't care about it. I could care less about baseball and american football (what's with calling the winners of all-american sports like baseball "world champions" - what, because Canada play?)

Having said that, the US have a reasonable football team. Overranked by FIFA as 5th in world, but they put up a good show against mighty Italy the other day.

Also, my favourite games of all time are pretty much ISS Pro Evolution football games (or football management games like Championship Manager)

ST

Sun Jun 25, 02:02:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home