January 23, 2005

Thanks to a Legend

I went over to my brother's today, to watch some football, and just hang out. Just a typical leisurely sunday of hanging out and doing guy stuff. That's when I heard the news that Johnny Carson had passed away.

I grew up on The Tonight Show. I remember I would watch the 10 o'clock news, and then watch the first part of the Tonight Show. I would have to force myself to stay awake, but I usually managed to do it every night. I loved listening to his monologue, and whatever skit he had afterwords.

He would have something regular some days of the week. Headlines. The predictions where he wore the hat and said what the answer to the question in the envelope was before he opened it. He was hilarious. His humor was tuned to a mainstream subject, but it was very odd and unique in its own respect.

I never totally realized that his humor, and my almost religious watching of his show, had such a huge influence on me. He was constantly making fun of (and impersonating) Reagan, and whatever else in the news. He just had this twisted smirk on his face, because he knew the next line and was waiting for just the right moment to deliver it.

Johnny, your comedy helped shape who I am today. You have inspired not only my interest in all things funny, but also my interest in what is going on in the world around me. It amazes me how much I truly owe to you. You've touched the lives of many people. I know this very well, I'm one of them. Thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home