June 30, 2006

CD Shuffleathon

One of the Blogs I regularly read, SwissToni's Place, has run a "CD Shuffleathon." Essentially, anyone interested would burn a disc of 12 songs, draw another person on the list, and send it to them. Me being the music fanatic that I am, jumped at the chance. Thirty people signed up, who live basically all over the world.

My hopes were that I would draw someone from England, or pretty much anywhere far away. I wanted to get exposure to something new and differant than the music that I am used to hearing. I did get that lucky, as yesterday I received an envelope brought via Royal mail from England, courtesy of Bedshaped at Some Guy On A Journey.

Now, my final task of the exchange, listen to and post a review. So here it is, my review of the CD.
  1. Leave (Life Less Ordinary Remix) by REM - Amazing. Whoever remixed this needs to be bowed to. The backing music does an amazing job of finding a balance of keeping the song moving, but keeping the focus on Michael Stipes vocals.
  2. The Red by Chevelle - This is one of Chevelle's better songs, but I've never been able to get into them. Like many bands, I was introduced to with a song that sounded too much like someone else I have listened to. In the case of Chevelle, it was one of my favorite bands all time, Tool. Good song, but hampered by my music snobbery/bias... not sure exactly what to call it.
  3. Useless (Remix) by Depeche Mode - Good song, but the remix seemed a bit dragged out. Could have been timing though, as in listening to it while I'm halfway through with my morning coffee (wired on caffeine) instead of tired after a long day and settleing down with a drink.
  4. Dry the Rain by The Beta Band - Really like this one. Totally "British" as I can hear a bit of the accent poke through on the vocals. Fit my mood well at the time I was listening to it. It started out bleak and slowly built and added layers to the sound of the song.
  5. Orange Crush covered by The Editors - I'm a cover fanatic. From the outragious humorous one to the serious one. This is a good cover of the REM classic. Its true to the original, but the band lets its own voice and style be heard throughout the song.
  6. Centrefolds by Placebo - Love the lyrics. This one makes me think of a few songs that were just a bit too personal for me to include on my disc (I'm secretive, what can I say?). I know this is the type of song that will grow even further on me with more listens. Definately a keeper.
  7. Crazy Baby by Joan Osborne - I couldn't get into this one. I'm known for being extremely picky when it comes to female vocalists, as a good 90% of my music collection has male vocals.
  8. Give It by X-press 2 - I'd describe this one as poetry over music. Like the lyrics and most of the backing music but... the bass drum thump was a turn off for me. I'm more of a rock/metal fanatic, and the bass drum conjured up memories of being dragged to bad bars with night at the roxbury style music blaring.
  9. Charlie Big Potato by Skunk Anansie - mmm... dirty guitar. Then, really clean female vocals over said dirty guitar. This song was an instant draw for me, as it was a bit more in my regular music listening. Plus I really like her voice. This one is definately getting put on the iPod.
  10. Juneau by Funeral for a Friend - overall, this is a good song -but- this one calls out my musical snobbery just like chevelle. The song made me instantly think of another band, Incubus, who were once one of my favorite bands till I got bored with the sound. I literally liked them so much I outplayed them.
  11. Hundred Mile High City by Ocean Color Scene - This is a good jam. Really enjoyed listening to it. The band sounds like they're pretty tight. I can imagine them putting on an amazing live show.
  12. Wake Up by The Walkmen - this one just isn't me. I couldn't get into it. That's the nature of music though. It reaches all of us differently.
And that concludes my review. I really enjoyed listening to this disc. There are several bands/groups on here that I am going to have to investigate further. I'd like to thank Bedshaped, SwissToni, and Yoko (who originally came up with the CD Shuffleathon idea).

6 Comments:

Blogger swisslet said...

that's a pretty fair review if you ask me. Do you know what though? I'm really going to have to make you a CD myself. I know that you really wanted to draw someone from the UK, and was pleased when you drew bedshaped... but even so, I think I should make you a CD. I'm going to put my thinking cap on.

Thanks for playing. Good to have you onboard, and I look forward to seeing what you put on you CD...

ST

Fri Jun 30, 04:42:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Pynchon said...

I was lucky enough to see Ocean Colour Scene live a couple of years ago (Paul Weller turned up and played a bit of keyboards) and they were brilliant live.

Fri Jun 30, 05:11:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Michael said...

ST - I look forward to it. One catch though, you'll have to get a CD back from me.

Besides, with me mailing stuff to a couple addresses in England, and getting packages, along with my mother (she has an online friend out there) we'll really draw the interests of national security.

who knows, I might just get that free vacation in guantanamo...

Sat Jul 01, 01:10:00 AM CDT  
Blogger adem said...

ST- but some baking powder in the parcel 'for a laugh'!!

Sat Jul 01, 04:34:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Ali said...

Oh it was nothing!
:)

I liked your review, it's so interesting to see people's reactions to these songs that are somehow special to us.

Tue Jul 04, 03:38:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Michael said...

yoko-that's been one of the really fun things about this one. I had only heard one of the songs on my list prior to listening, and maybe half the artists.

Since then, a few songs have made their way onto my main iPod playlist, and I've ordered an old Skunk Anansie CD online.

Then again, my music taste is a bit eclectic, and I avoid most of the mainstream US music. If any of you have ever had the misfortune to be forced to listen to "shake that laffy taffy" or "save a horse, ride a cowboy" you'd undersand why.

Why don't some of the great artists out there make it out here, and vice versa? I'd say marketing. Can't have the foreigners treading on home territory. Besides that I'm sure a few songs don't click because of some of the small language and cultural differences.

Tue Jul 04, 06:25:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home